Kanna (Sceletium tortuosum) is a potent and legal plant. It can be smoked, chewed, drank and snorted. It is especially potent when snorted. It interacts strongly with other drugs and herbs. It is often rumored to be an SSRI, although there is no scientific evidence to prove this claim.
How to useEdit
If the kanna extract is of good quality and not "cut" or of old stock the effects are almost immediate.
This is the most common method of administration, with dried material. Effects are nearly instantaneous.
Kanna should always be taken on an empty stomach when used orally. A dose of 50mg-500mg should be sufficient, although reports vary. Onset is anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes....
Snorting Kanna is by far strongest method of administration, giving the shortest experience and using the least material. It may produce a strong burning sensation in the nasal passage, as most drugs do when snorted (with the possible exception of cocaine). A dose of 20mg-100mg should be sufficient. If more is needed, your kanna is extremely weak. 500mg would be considered an intense overdose if snorted, while it's an active dose for oral use.
Some users put kanna under their tounge, or stick some powder in a piece of gum and chew on it. This is more effective than oral usage, but less effective than smoking.
Kanna can not simply be picked and smoked or chewed, it must be dried first. although the process seems to involve crushing/cutting then heating (in the hot sun) rather than actual fermentation action by bacteria. Kanna also slowly loses it's potency over time. It is important to have a good source of quality kanna, there are big differences in the quality of kanna, "wild crafted" is about equal to "swag", green house/professionally tended is much higher quality and is considered "dank".
The alkaloids contained in Kanna are not psychoactive (but many scum vendors will say diffrentlyi) nclude: mesembrine, mesembrenone, mesembrenol and tortuosamine. Mesembrine is a major alkaloid present in Sceletium tortuosum. One patent claims that mesembrine is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor, although there is currently no peer reviewed scientific literature to confirm this claim. It is also believed to be a PDE4-inhibitor due to a strikingly similar chemical makeup and effects profile in comparison to a chemical named rolipram.
Quality Sceletium tortuosum contains about 1-1.5% - 3.0% total alkaloids, weak kanna is .25% or less. There is about 0.3% mesembrine in the leaves and 0.86% in the stems of the plant.
Quality kanna can be ID'ed by the smell (similar to the smell of cocaine), the taste will be bitter to very bitter, depending on the part of the plant(aerial parts being more potent). Poor kanna will not have much taste and will not have the "loud" smell. The buyer should also be able to see the accumulation of alkolids on some(not all part of any given dried plant), much like one can see THC resins on a high quality marijuana plant.
|“|| Here are some good kanna combinations:
- kanna & cannabis - increases the effects of the cannabis about 3-fold imo, plus takes off any unpleasant nervy effects.
- kanna & damiana - like *mild* hashish in effect - trouble is that you need to smoke too much damiana, it's best to use 5g+ of damiana as tea and then smoke 100-200mg of kanna afterwards.
- kanna & 2-AI (synthetic) - ingest about 1g of pharma-grade kanna with 100mg of 2-AI, a synthetic stimulant - awesome body-rushes and tingles - amazing for sex - these two things are magical together (2-AI is fairly boring solo) - good weeknight buzz, as it's not too prolonged. Smoke a bit of kanna later on for top-ups!
- -source: dreambunz ()
- JWH-018 and Spice alternatives. It is thought that Chillin XXX is simply a mixture of Kanna and Spice.
- Dagga Kanna mixes very well with dagga. IAS sells the two in a resin together.
- Lotus Mixes well with kanna 
- Damiana Kanna mixes well with effectual doses of damiana
- Kratom (yellow) / 1/2 cup of kava / .5g's Kanna
- Phenethylamines: Kanna, if it truly acts as an serotonin reuptake inhibitor, should end trip immediately. This is probably also true for
Priming & Effective UsageEdit
When taken orally Sceletium should ALWAYS be taken on an empty stomach. If you take it with food, it cancels out the effect of the sceletium almost completely. Also, some herbs go great with sceletium (for example Tongkat Ali, and American Ginseng) but rhodiola and kava are not recommended to be taken with sceletium. They seem to make you extremely tired when mixed. But it is not that bad, and it may not affect you that way, but Ken Johnson, the owner, says it is an extremely heavy and irritating feeling to mix sceletium and kava or rhodiola for him. It is fine if you take them several hours apart, but it is not recommended to take them both at the same time.
|“||It may not do much for you at first, but stick with kanna for a few days and it will work, and when it does you will understand why some people like it so much.||”|
- -dreambunz (quick question... )
i have tried kanna from 3 different vendors and i loved the kanna from therootof thematter.ca, it is absolutely the most potent i have tried and it is fermented to make it taste less nasty. if you decide to order from them, email the shopowner, because it is only listed as capsules on the site, you probably want the straight powder (least expensive)... second place goes to herbhut, third place iamshaman.
- -replicant76cs (your favorite kanna )
|“|| I've only had it from therootofthematter and it's excellent. I might even enjoy it more than kratom..**gasp**!
I enjoy putting about 1/8 tsp on some gum. Gives me the most pleasant effects.
- -bpnd (your favorite kanna )
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found